TPG Prop Bet: Vanderstay or Vandergoes

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:10 (3986 days ago)

I think he'll come to ND for 2013-14. I think his strategic position here is just really weak. While there is a/every chance that he may get out to ND and love it, transfer risk would obviously be through the roof, particularly since it clears up his choices going forward. If he does well, he can then sit out his sophomore year while accruing hype. Not a bad strategy for keeping miles off the body and closing in on the NFL dream. If the kid sits out a year he won't have that opportunity.

So yeah, I bet he'll come to ND and maybe keep an eye on how life goes for Lynch down in Tampa.

Tags:
bets

Until there is more concrete information...

by Jim (OFD) @, Naptown, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 05:45 (3984 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I am just going to assume he has cold feet about the cold weather and will be there in June.

Now, if we are talking about will he actually leave ND with a degree in hand, then I would answer differently. I don't think he will play 4 years anywhere, but that is just a guess on my part.

Don't think its the weather

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 06:20 (3984 days ago) @ Jim (OFD)

He gets plenty of cold and snow where he lives now.

The current rumor that's making the rounds is that he was given some sort of "promise" by the coaching staff/administration (which ND is vehemently denying) that was subsequently "taken away." Let your mind run wild with possibilities as to what this might have been...

I know it has nothing to do with the weather...

by Jim (OFD) @, Naptown, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 09:31 (3984 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

but was just trying to get fancy with my writing skills. I won't make that mistake again...at least for a week or two.

I like the sister angle here, like River originally said

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 07:17 (3984 days ago) @ Jeremy (WeIsND)

- No text -

If nothing else, the sister's recruitment

by JRT, Island of Misfit Toys, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 07:26 (3984 days ago) @ Jay

is a way for other schools to keep talking to the family.

And what exactly is the delay for concrete info?

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 05:53 (3984 days ago) @ Jim (OFD)

Monday info trickled out and Tuesday it picked up steam.
Now it's Thursday and I'm still following that Jackhole, Joe Davidson on Twitter.

Are there still negotiations taking place?
What's the holdup?

--
"F--- everyone who isn't us."
#Team128

He's not coming.

by Slainte Joe @, Raleigh, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:47 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

That's what she said.

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:51 (3986 days ago) @ Slainte Joe

- No text -

--
#Team128

Has it been 4 hours?

by River, Hell of the Upside Down Sinners, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 11:03 (3986 days ago) @ Chris

- No text -

Gone.

by Grantland, y'allywood, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:30 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

No.

by Kevin @, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:21 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

He doesn't want to go to ND, and he thinks he made a terrible mistake. But rather than just say so, his family is spinning bullshit excuses through some local hack and trying to put this on ND and Kelly.

I wish we didn't need a DT so badly. It'd be nice to be able to tell them to go to hell.

Goes

by Pat, in the cloud, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:20 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Like Greg, I think something is Bruin.

At this moment, he simultaneously exists in both states.

by MattG, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:12 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Schrödinger's recruit.

vaND. Book it.

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:57 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

In pencil.

or at least washable marker

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:57 (3986 days ago) @ Buck Mulligan

- No text -

you're thinking too rationally

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:56 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

This is a recruit who switched schools once before and orchestrated a signing presser at the end of LOI day so that he would have a national spotlight all to himself. Then apparently got pissy because ND put his name on a press handout, the purpose of which was to provide info on the entire class and all his future teammates, not just him, even though he had already told ND he was coming so that they could prepare promotional items and a highlight reel for LOI day celebrating the entire class. So of course he's now going to do the smart thing and not waste a year of eligibility. Could work out, though; Aaron Lynch only lost 30 pounds sitting around for a year.

Yeah, that's why I think this is probably more of a

by Mike (bart), Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:09 (3986 days ago) @ Jay

play for more time/recruitment than anything. The thing is, once Vanderdoes signed his LOI, he and his family lost almost all their leverage. Signing day is the first day on which a player can sign, not the last. If EV and his family had a bad taste in their mouth about something, they shouldn't have signed right away.

If there's something the player and the family has taken umbrage to, my hunch is that they'll find "common ground" pretty quickly once they realize it's in their best interest.

on the other hand, if it's an academic snafu

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:34 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

he should have never been allowed to commit in the first place. This would be a continuation of a pattern and further evidence of a disconnect (or turf battle) between the football office and admissions.

* Shepard
* Standifer
* AQM
* now EV

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this staff aggressively pushes for borderline academic cases, but on signing day everyone's just got to be on the same page.

Not sure that AQM really fits.

by KGB, Belly o. the Beast, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:48 (3986 days ago) @ Jay
edited by KGB, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:54

His situation (at least what I suspect the situation was based on the timeline) is one that ND has dealt with for as long as I've been following recruiting. There's no way to compete at the highest level without making some scholarship offers that are contingent on the recruit in question achieving or at least continuing to fulfill certain academic benchmarks at the h.s. level. And occasionally that individual is not going to make good on those expectations as their senior year unfolds and we're forced to move onto the next.

Shepard is the one that still floors me. I have to believe there was something unusual/extreme in play in that particular case.

Standifer's not really the same either

by Brendan ⌂ @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 19:37 (3986 days ago) @ KGB

Word on him was that he was short one language course but in the clear otherwise, and the university made the (rather extraordinary, I think) accommodation of letting him take an online class to make it up. Which he then failed. Oops. And I'm with you on AQM, that was a conditional offer that didn't pan out. It happens.

Tee was a damned shame, both because it made us look like rank amateurs and because I think Tee really, really wanted to be here and would've been a great representative of the university. He's an inspirational story and seemed like a good kid. If something similar happened with EV - damn, Admissions Office, get your freaking shit together already.

Language requirements are a huge pain.

by PAK, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 07:02 (3985 days ago) @ Brendan

I've always thought a language requirement for admission is stupid, though apparently those kind of requirements are more widespread than I thought. It seems like a pretty large proportion of our admission screwups are over the foreign language requirement.

I predict he's listening to The Clash on his iPod

by Jack @, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:51 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)
edited by Jack, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:08

No doubt to learn Spanish.

Me debo ir o quedarme?

Why do you people make this so difficult?

by Chris @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:44 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

[image]

--
#Team128

Vanderdoesn't

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:44 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Sounds like the family's pissed about something personal.

What though?

by JN, Seattle, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:54 (3986 days ago) @ Dylan

Is Bobby D too smooth? What could have happened in the last few months when no other school was talking to him.

Something along the lines of insufficient fealty, I reckon

by Dylan, Indianapolisish, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 10:51 (3986 days ago) @ JN

- No text -

If he stays there will be trouble

by JN, Seattle, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:43 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

But if he goes it will be double.

STAY

Stays

by scriptcomesfirst @, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:42 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

Goes.

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:40 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

Goes

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:39 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

My bet is on mouth breathing reporters blaming for ND for "not releasing his LOI" and preventing him from playing next year.

Goes

by Jeremy (WeIsND), Offices of Babip Pecota Vorp & Eckstein, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:21 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

Your point is way too logical for any 18 year old.

Vandergoes

by FunkDoctorSpock, Your Nightmares, B* tches, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:20 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

UCLA

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:18 (3986 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

- No text -

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Anyone have the gist of UCLA's Scout board?

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 09:46 (3986 days ago) @ Greg