the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

more Swarbrick/ACC tidbits from the Hartford paper

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, March 14, 2013, 15:15

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-women/hc-uconn-women-notebook-0313-20130312,0,49771...

10:52 PM EDT, March 12, 2013

HARTFORD — Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said Tuesday that he would not comment "on hypotheticals" when asked if the university would someday support UConn's candidacy to join the ACC.

"Twenty-eight years as an attorney has taught me never to [answer hypothetical questions]. So I will pass on that hypothetical," Swarbrick said.

Notre Dame and the Big East reached agreement Tuesday to allow the Irish to move immediately to the ACC after this season instead of delaying their departure until 2014-15.

"We said in September when we made the decision that we thought it was in everyone's best interest [for the separation to take place]," Swarbrick said.

Swarbrick would not say whether Notre Dame was asked to pay an exit fee, saying only that the university's deal was the same as the Catholic 7 received to leave.

"It provided us a template," Swarbrick said. "Whatever you feel the Catholic 7 deal was, you can transport to us."

Swarbrick said the ACC did not ask for any concessions from its football program in return for early entrance. Notre Dame will play five ACC opponents each season while maintaining a strong nonconference framework.

"There are so many things about [the ACC], the academics, the institutions, the geography," Swarbrick said. "It works very well for Notre Dame. We contemplate it being a long-term resting place."

Swarbrick also said he hasn't heard whether the ACC plans to expand beyond the 15 teams it will have next season. It will remain a 15-team league after next season when Louisville replaces Maryland, which will join the Big Ten.

Tags:
swarbrick, ACC

374384 Postings in 32685 Threads, 204 registered users, 135 users online (10 registered, 125 guests)
Contact