the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

random thoughts on ND & the draft

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:22

1. Historical chart of ND draft picks. I cut it off at the top 270 players taken to account for varying pool sizes over the years. Blue indicates a Top 100 pick.

[image]

2. At CMU and Cincinnati, Kelly was known for producing draft picks above the expected totals according to recruited talent. See suave's posts here:

http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?mode=entry&id=58315

and here:

http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=53244

3. Which guys on ND's roster today will eventually be drafted? My two cents' worth is that next year will be another thin crop from ND (Nix and Martin being the only surefire picks, with Watt, Shembo, and Jackson possibilities.) After that, it should start to ramp up.

Tags:
draft

On Manti's 40 time:

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:27 @ Jay

From Robert Mays:

Today in People Running Fast in a Straight Line, we feature two guys on opposite sides of the ball who could stand to gain or lose a lot from their 40s. Much of the interest in Manti Te’o’s combine trip was about how he’d face questions from both teams and the media about the girlfriend hoax, but the evaluators in the crowd seemed much more concerned about how he’d run. The 4.82 40 that Te’o turned in got mixed reactions, says the NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Te’o claims the poor showing was a product of the stress that came with the combine, and that his time will improve on his pro day. For some teams, the tape will always matter most, but for others, a 4.82 40 raises questions about Te’o’s viability at certain positions. If he’s not fast enough to play middle linebacker in a 4-3, and he doesn’t take on blocks well enough to play inside in a 3-4, then where does he fit? The name mentioned several times after Te’o’s time was Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs, who ran a 4.75 back in 2003 before posting seven straight Pro Bowl seasons.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/52329/chip-kelly-loves-dion-jordan...

Stress of the combine

by OrangeBlueGray ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 14:46 @ Jim (fisherj08)

"Te’o claims the poor showing was a product of the stress that came with the combine"

Not sure that's exactly reassuring to any teams looking to draft him.

I'd agree except that he didn't exactly blame stress

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 22:41 @ OrangeBlueGray

And I hate to nitpick semantics but a buddy of mine has been trashing Manti every chance he gets and it's mainly on interpreting meaning to things that Manti said. For example, here's an excerpt of Manti from NFL Network:

Speaking to the NFL Network after Monday's performance, Te'o called the Combine a "very exhausting process" that limited the 6-2, 255-pounder to approximately four hours of sleep per night. "I was running near a 4.6, a 4.5," Te'o told his interviewers. "Today was just a long, long day."

Nowhere do I see him blaming anything. But the press has been having a field day with Manti using stress and pressure as an excuse. Taken at face value, it probably was a long day and Manti probably received the most scrutiny of anyone at the draft but I don't see the direct attribution for blame.

Perhaps I am too biased about this and can't see this objectively. However, it really seems like the media is latching on to whatever they can get their hands on. To me, this is simply another sign that Manti is too honest to a fault. It's also why I think he was able to be duped. Again, not really the type of stuff worthy of America's most hated athlete.

Maybe they had the wrong guy

by JN @, Seattle, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:51 @ Domer99

Since this guy was apparently an inch taller and 15 pounds heavier than what Te'o measured in at the day before.

http://bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=146281

is he getting no PR help at all?

by OrangeBlueGray ⌂ @, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 09:06 @ Domer99

I think he can be a fine NFL player, but his draft stock is going to be determined in part by perception.

And yes, he probably has more of a microscope on him now, but geez, someone needs to help him prepare for it a little better.

A GM will draft on tools and past results, which Te'o has a pretty good resume. But he doesn't want his fans doubting a pick from the outset and perception is huge in that regard.

If Manti were to go the "He Hate Me" route with the

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 23:12 @ Domer99

back of his jersey, it would most certainly say, "Honest to a Fault."

Or "He Love Me"

by OrangeBlueGray ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 23:27 @ BillyGoat

[ No text ]

ha!

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 23:43 @ OrangeBlueGray

[ No text ]

Agree 100%

by Jeff (BGS), A starter home in suburban Tempe, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 19:06 @ OrangeBlueGray

"Can't handle stress" is worse than "a little slow in the 40"

Yeah. With you there. Still...

by Greg, the 'Dena, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 16:02 @ OrangeBlueGray

...I think he's going to win or lose in this thing in the interview process. Teams that are willing to look beyond the ridiculousness (some of it self-created) surrounding him are going to do so; teams that are not are not. But for the teams that are, getting to know him as something other than the Catfished or the numbers or the soundbytes is critical.

My uninformed speculation is that he'll fall to the bottom 10 of the 1st round, where a well-run franchise like the Pats, Steelers, Colts, or Giants (though we know that, for clubhouse reasons, it won't actually be the Giants) will take him and let him grow into the role over a couple years. In mid-2014 he will look like a draft steal if it does go this way. Conversely, if the Cowboys, Bengals, or Chargers draft him he'll be out of the league in two years.

Reminded me of a John McKay quote

by OrangeBlueGray ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:20 @ Greg

McKay on place kicker Pete Rajecki having a bad camp with the Bucs because kicking in front of McKay made him nervous: "I don't think he's got much of a future here, because I plan on going to all the games.''

Love it

by Greg, the 'Dena, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 19:53 @ OrangeBlueGray

And for me, Teo's quote (admittedly I don't know the context and admittedly I like the kid and will give him the benefit of the doubt) was worse than the catfishing and the lying/overblowing the relationship and the bad game against Bama and the 40 time combined. Because if the pressure at the combine is bad, the pressure in actual NFL games will be much worse. And it won't be John Harbaugh with granny glasses shaking his head, it'll be John's brother melting the skin off your face.

I still think he can save himself with a well-run franchise that looks at his entire body of work. But like I said, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan. Maybe he can't; this was pretty bad.

Greg, see Domer99 post above...

by scriptcomesfirst @, Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 04:54 @ Greg

Manti's quote wasn't even close to what is being portrayed. This is why I hate the character assassination that is still taking place. You have watched Manti for 4 years, are a Manti fan, and yet the spin even has you commenting on how bad the quote looks.

Going to a team like NE would be great for him

by OrangeBlueGray ⌂ @, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 20:29 @ Greg

He can be a solid player - and playing for a good team would go a long way in his early development

First time addressing sports media after hoax? I could see

by PootND ⌂ @, Jersey City, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:13 @ OrangeBlueGray

that adding more than a normal amount of stress.

Still not the best thing to admit publicly though

Also, I really enjoy the Onion's characterization of Manti.

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:53 @ Jim (fisherj08)

what's more important for an ILB

by HumanRobot @, Cybertron, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:31 @ Jim (fisherj08)

Is it raw speed or is it ability to beat a guard's block? If you're playing a two-gap DL scheme, then sure you want speedy linebackers to rack up tackles. If you're playing something one-gap, you need those linebackers to have enough strength to get off blocks, right?

maybe middle zone coverage

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:36 @ HumanRobot

since every NFL team plays a cover 2?

374449 Postings in 32693 Threads, 204 registered users, 128 users online (5 registered, 123 guests)
Contact