Elston on special teams

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 16:11 (5196 days ago)

On his involvement with special teams:
"Coach Kelly approached me in our third year at Central Michigan to be the special teams coordinator and linebackers coach. I was very excited about that because it gave me the opportunity to delve more into football. It just seems like every game we play, something new pops up where you can grow and learn. We have had the pleasure of coaching a lot of great players in special teams. The one thing I can say is we have been very consistent on special teams over the last four years. We have been one of the top producers in many of the major categories. I can't say that we have won all the games on special teams, but what we haven't done is lost games because of special teams. We hold onto the football. We'll be in the top 25 in almost every major category from punting to field goals to kickoff returns to punt returns, and I think we do it by picking the right players. It's not always going to be the starters on the field. A lot of teams will put four or five starters per group and sometimes there are guys on the sideline better equipped or better qualified for those positions. We'll find the best 11 and I think we do as good of a job at that as anybody in the country, which is why we have had success."

"We have been one of the top producers in many of the major categories...we'll be in the top 25 in almost every major category..."

Is this true of BK's teams? Easy enough to check. Here's the tally.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aqu7YH9xlSk0dGtJOEJZSlcwV2hnM01QZTZ4Z1BXemc&...

Exec summary: coverages average. Placekicking average or worse. Returns decent with Gilyard. Punting the best in football when they had Kevin Huber who is now punting for the Bengals, but when he left they dropped to 97th.

Tags:
special teams

I would just take average special teams at this point

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Tuesday, January 05, 2010, 16:42 (5196 days ago) @ Jay

- No text -