the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

So I read the Essential Smart Football over Christmas

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 12:12

and despite feeling smarter, I am not smart enough to diagnose ND's schemes on my own. I guess I'm most interested in how much we've integrated power football concepts into our version of the spread and the gap technique used by our D-Line. Do we do any of that Saban pattern-matching stuff in our secondary? With Spond and co. it seems like doing a matchup zone thing might work with our strengths since our backers do a good job against the pass.

I apologize if this has been all hashed out before or if I sound like those Holiday Inn Express commercials.

Secondary note: Any other books out there that can help beef up the knowledge of a wannabe scheme guy?

Tags:
books

Books within. And an answer re: pattern read.

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 13:40 @ HullieAndMikes

We don't do much pattern read - we use probably the purest example of bend don't break zone coverage I've ever seen. Meaning safeties deep, soft coverage with hard tackles. Make the O execute twelve or more good plays to move down the field, and wait for them to mess up in the meantime. Great strategy with our front 7 and young DB's.

Book list:

The Hidden Game of Football - the field position bible.

Football Clock Management by John T. Reed.

Joe Montana - The Art and Magic of Quarterbacking. Somewhat basic, but very good information from the best ever. Points out the importance of things like deep drops, throwing underneath, etc.

Pure X's and O's:

Any particular subject has a number of AFCA books - look on Amazon, noting the publication date. These are great, basic books. Even if the info is outdated, it can be instructional because so much is cyclical. The Offensive and Defensive Strategies books are good starting points.

The Bunch Attack and The Quick Passing Game, both by Coverdale, are fantastic books on the passing game. Serious X's and O's. Good for defensive side of things as it addresses various coverages. ★★★★★

also recommend Layden's book, "Blood, Sweat, and Chalk"

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 13:48 @ Buck Mulligan

Mentioned it here before. Sort of a layman's history of various football strategies. Very entertaining read.

http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=49205

Looks good. Ordered up.

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 18:41 @ Jay

[ No text ]

I read this not too long ago

by burger23 ⌂, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 14:00 @ Jay

It's a great read. Not very heavy on the X's and O's but it's a great look at how the major strategies in football - from the single wing to the wishbone to the spread to the air raid - were developed and spread. Definitely a must-read.

Power+Golic

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 12:51 @ HullieAndMikes

I second this Secondary note. (Would you recommend the

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 12:13 @ HullieAndMikes

Essential Smart Football?)

Absolutely.

by PAK, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 12:47 @ BillyGoat

It's clearly written, inexpensive, and a quick read. I'd actually recommend all of his stuff.

A mixture of relevant Smart Football content and a little farting around with any recent vintage NCAA Football game can go a LONG way to improving your grasp of the game.

For a never-played-the-game guy like me it was great

by HullieAndMikes, Joe Turner's bookcase, ALHS, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 12:17 @ BillyGoat

If you have some basic familiarity with terminology from Madden or other video games, you can pick it up really quickly. I got the Kindle version for like $3. It had some play diagrams, too, which helped me visualize what he was talking about.

Overall a really brisk read that I think upped my football IQ. If I want to read more, a book has succeeded, and this definitely did.

Cool. Thanks. I'll put it on my list behind the fifth Game

by BillyGoat, At Thanksgiving with Joe Bethersontin, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 12:19 @ HullieAndMikes

of Thrones.

It is far shorter to read...

by Jim (OFD) @, Naptown, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 12:31 @ BillyGoat

than A Dance with Dragons, aka the 5th "Game of Thrones" book. I would move the Essential Smart Football up in the queue if I were you.

374353 Postings in 32682 Threads, 204 registered users, 118 users online (3 registered, 115 guests)
Contact