the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Linear

exec summary of that JS interview

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:18

Full transcript here: http://www.bluegraysky.com/forum/index.php?id=135736

My notes on some of the more important issues:

* With the Big East falling apart, wants to be in the ACC as early as next season (2013-14 season) for all sport but football. Might have to wait until 2014-15.

* Football will commence ACC scheduling in 2014.

* Stanford is on par with USC and Navy for scheduling priorities. Then ACC. Then others, including the B10. JS evaded the question about future B10 matchups.

* They will "dry run" the BCS selection committee this year, in preparation for going live in 2014.

* NBC negotiations still underway.

* Digital platform booming. Interesting quote here. What does he mean by "second screen"?

We have a million things we have to do. We have to be better in the second-screen applications. Every year, every game more and more of our fans are accessing a second screen when they're watching Notre Dame football. The content on that second screen, what it provides and how it works is really important."

* Happy with the "Take a Stand" campaign to improve home stadium atmosphere, still tweaking. No mention of jumbotron.

* Sounds like we'll definitely have a new field in place at the stadium, to support in-stadium practices and other events. Surface type is undecided but he seemed down on the costs of maintaining a Green Bay-style hybrid. Mentioned inability to re-sod such a hybrid, but no mention of MSU or VT's grid system which is expressly designed for re-sodding. I wonder if JS is really up to speed on all the alternatives here.

* Hoops practice facility is a priority but no plan yet, and no funding. Building estimate is $30 million. Jay's question: how the hell does a basketball practice facility cost $30 million?

Tags:
swarbrick, scheduling, ACC

Does anyone honestly give a shit what surface we play on?

by KGB, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:36 @ Jay

As long as it's safe for the players and looks presentable and "grass-like" from the stands or on TV, why does anyone think that their opinion actually matters? Are you out there playing on the field? No? Then shut the fuck up already and grab some wood up there in section 228, bub.

I posit that 4 out of 5 dipshits bellyaching about "tradition" when it comes to the field could not take the Pepsi Challenge and consistently differentiate between a pure grass surface and some sort of hybrid.

And Swarbrick could talk about this explicitly until he's blue in the face, but there's apparently no killing the conspiracy theory that Kelly is dictating major renovations such as the playing surface and a jumbotron to his superiors. Lou Holtz has told the story a number of times about waltzing into Joyce's office and suggesting that an interlocking ND be added to the helmets. I suspect that similar directives from Kelly would suffer the same fate today.

Field turf is a nice surface. Rockne would have put it in by

by Buck Mulligan, Martello Tower, Friday, December 28, 2012, 14:14 @ KGB

2003. In gold with navy blue yard lines.

I think there may be some older folks who think of it as the old style Astro-Turf, like Cartier Field used to have. It was horrible. I played a handful of games on those old surfaces and you never forgot that you were on a fake surface.

Field Turf plays really well. I'd be surprised if the injury rates are any different than grass - it feels like a perfectly kept grass surface. I've coached a bunch of youth football games and 7 on 7 games on it and you forget it's fake, even as you're running on it. You know you don't have to contend with bad spots or drainage problems.

I'm not losing any sleep over the decision one way or the other.

somebody press play on the turf mixtape

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 28, 2012, 13:03 @ KGB

any thoughts on the $30 million hoops building?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 28, 2012, 11:59 @ Jay

Sounds like a white elephant.

Seems pretty wasteful.

by San Pedro, Friday, December 28, 2012, 22:51 @ Jay

I suppose its fine if someone wants to donate the money, but it seems like there are better uses for it than that.

It does sound a little pricey

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Friday, December 28, 2012, 14:59 @ Jay

By way of reference, Villanova's (who also has similar funding requirements as ND) Davis Center which opened in 2007 cost about $19 million. But it sounds like a mix of men's and women's basketball practice facilities with some general campus use sprinkled in also.

Sounds similar to IU's new Cook Hall

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:06 @ Jay

It seems to be the new thing among basketball powers:

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/facilities/ind-facilities.html#cook

[image]
[image]

I think it could end up being a Gug level project, where it helps take the program to another level. I mean, the Gug should rightfully be seen as one of the first steps towards bringing ND back to where it is now. Think about what the facilities were like before that point.

Now, the counter to that is, do we really want to be involved in this crazy ass arms race that college athletics currently finds itself in. My response would be that ND appears to go about things the right way by not dipping into regular funds and not jacking up fees and tuition to pay for it. Further, they don't build until it is paid for, so that prevents some boondoggles.

man, that thing is ugly

by Pat, Right behind you, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:35 @ Chris (HCC)
edited by Pat, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:39

Even worse than looking like a glass bug, does it really only have one full size court? All that footprint for a practice facility that only has one large court?

edit. It does say they can configure it to have two regulation courts.

There's two full courts

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:43 @ Pat

The whole place functions like the Gug, it's essentially the self-contained home of the basketball programs. Offices, training table, medical, meeting space, etc. It also houses IU's main "Hall of Champions" type deal with all the trophies, etc.

Also, the facility looks slightly better in person, though that could because the most attractive looking nearby building is the Alumni Association HQ which looks strikingly similar to ND's Alumni center. The rest of the area is Assembly Hall (which is a wretched looking building on the outside), a few residential towers, the indoor track (which makes Loftus look great) and Memorial Stadium (which isn't bad at all).

Maybe if they were thinking about re-purposing Rolfs

by Kevin @, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:05 @ Jay

then building a new student rec center, the price could approach $20 million.

But according to the linked source, Cook Hall at IU cost $16.5 million. How on Earth would ND come close to doubling that?

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/galleries/project.aspx?id=491

On field replacement:

by Joe (LBbeachrat) @, Los Angeles, CA, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:31 @ Jay

JS has admitted that he is not well versed in all the alternatives, but he's certainly gotten much info on the Green Bay setup. Certainly seems like if we're going to see grass on the field, it will be of the MSU tray variety.

It sounded to me like...

by Greg, the 'Dena, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:27 @ Joe (LBbeachrat)

...he had heard of the Green Bay system and was hoping it would work and he spent a lot of time looking into it because of that, but that he had (recently?) reached the decision that it would not be viable for ND and so was beginning the process of looking at other things. Reasonable minds can differ as to what that means for the timing and ultimate replacement of the field, but it seems consistent with how Swarbrick operates -- look at the range of options, identify the preferred option, laser focus on it, either realize it or do not, and then move on (as opposed to looking at many things simultaneously).

He's not lying about the infrastructure

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:53 @ Greg

Green Bay had been building the infrastructure for the hybrid field since just after the Ice Bowl. Lombardi famously demanded that there be a state of the art heating system put underneath the turf after that game.

When they decided to do the Grassmaster system it wasn't like they just pulled up the sod and plopped down the Grassmaster. They pulled out everything in field to replace it. We're talking a complete revamp of the drainage system from initial intake of water all the way out. They also had to redo the entire heating system.

To top all of that off, they swapped out their regular stadium lights for what amounts to grow lights. They keep the lights on every evening in the fall and winter to extend the growing season so that the grass can keep a better root system year round.

I mean, this isn't a set it and forget it deal here. It's really fucking expensive and time intensive. I'm not sure that any of us would want devote so many of the university's resources to that just so we can point to the field to our non-ND friends and say, "see that, there's some natural grass right there."

one thing's definitely clear

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:53 @ Joe (LBbeachrat)

We're getting something new.

Agreed.

by Joe (LBbeachrat) @, Los Angeles, CA, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:49 @ Jay

[ No text ]

Re: Second Screen

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:28 @ Jay

It's fairly common among the, shall we say, younger, hipper set to have a phone or tablet open while watching games on TV. There are quite a few examples of how that is used.

-Some type of chat application (TPG, for instance)
-"Enhanced Broadcasts" (some broadcasts have messed around with having on alternate camera feed, live stats, extra commentary, etc. I'd bet this is what Jack wants from NBC/FIDM)
-Social Media apps that auto-hashtag to promote conversation during the game.
-Fantasy Football feeds
-Other games

I'd be really excited about the possibility of an ND Gameday app for using on a second screen, except that I imagine it will only be an iPad app.

Ahem. Us uncool, one foot in the grave types do it too.

by Bill, Southern California, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:30 @ Chris (HCC)

[ No text ]

re: "Second Screen"

by Jim (fisherj08) @, A Samoan kid's laptop, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:27 @ Jay

when I watch sports on TV, I typically have my laptop or iPad on me, checking twitter, chatting with you weirdos, or just casually reading. What can Notre Dame do to supplement the game with digital media stuff? I bet Oak is furiously figuring that out.

I wonder if this applies to people in the stadium as well

by Pat, Right behind you, Friday, December 28, 2012, 12:33 @ Jim (fisherj08)

I've long been a proponent of putting highlights and/or replays and/or whatever else ND wants to show on a mobile app that people can access during the game. Sort of the modern equivalent of the guy who listens to a transistor radio call of the game while in the stadium.

I assume he's talking about iPads and laptops, but it would be cool to see some strides made in the in-person area as well.

we could provide TPG chat free of charge

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:28 @ Jim (fisherj08)

Probably too much MANGRAVY though.

Ahem. There is no such thing as too much MANGRAVY.

by NDTerp, I am not Jay. I never have been Jay., Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:31 @ Jay

[ No text ]

Words said in Alumni Hall every Saturday night

by Chris (HCC) @, Paradise, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:34 @ NDTerp

[ No text ]

If only we had posters here involved on the digital media

by Brian, 72 Whooping Cough Lane, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:23 @ Jay

side of things, who could clarify what he means by that...

ND-branded Google Specs?

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:28 @ Brian

I want to see ICON content popping up Terminator-style in my field of vision 24/7.

Do you mean digital Jumbotron media?

by Jack @, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:24 @ Brian

[ No text ]

Will the "Catholic 7" still be in the Big East in '14-'15?

by Jack @, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:23 @ Jay

If not, that will be one crappy basketball schedule if we're still there.

guesswork based on this and other commentary

by Jay ⌂, San Diego, Friday, December 28, 2012, 10:27 @ Jack

I think our non-FB sports will be playing a full ACC schedule starting in 2013.

374289 Postings in 32676 Threads, 204 registered users, 62 users online (1 registered, 61 guests)
Contact