Isn't this the biggest indictment of the last 4 years?

by Domer99, John Wesley Powell's Expedition Island, Saturday, March 06, 2021, 21:15 (1118 days ago) @ River

Look, we might not have the most athletic roster but we certainly aren't this shitty. I can't believe it's been since February 2017 that we won our last game against a ranked opponent. That used to be our thing.

Some are saying that this singular win is support for why Brey needs another year to go out on his own terms. And I adamantly disagree, because to me this indicates that we have something more that has not been present for 4 years and we've just pissed it away.

There's been a lot that's happened over the last year, but that in no way should excuse last season or this one. And that's also not even taking into consideration the previous 2 years. This kind of win used to be somewhat common. Actually better wins. But I can't help thinking that this same team that took down #11 FSU (a team and a style that has notoriously given ND fits) also lost to cellar dweller Boston College one week ago.

I'm all for giving coaches their due and acknowledging the goodwill, but we're way past that here. Brey knows it and probably feels bad about it. That's likely why he wants another year to go out on better terms. It's also why retaining him isn't a great idea. If he's just going to turn it on sporadically then the program will suffer and it already has. Look at recruiting for exhibit A about how this ebb and flow of interest has worked with the program.

Look, I am appreciative of all Mike's done. He elevated a moribund program that Matt Doherty (eff his soul) started to revitalize. But we're not far off from the last days of Digger or MacLeod. And it's not lost on many that some of the ardent Brey supporters also happen to be the first to want to pull the trigger to fire Brian Kelly.

Mike, thank you. Love some of what you did. Thanks for restoring some of ND's very proud legacy. But it's time.

Complete thread: