Lou Somogyi on Brey

by NDinVA @, Yorktown, VA, Sunday, February 28, 2021, 15:33 (1124 days ago) @ JD in Portland

My consistent contention prior to even the 2019-20 season two years ago was he wants to see the current junior class through at least next year. If I had to bet, I think Jack Swarbrick will grant that.

Notre Dame will have seven seniors next season: Laz, Hubb, Goodwin, Ryan, Wertz, Carmody and the Yale grad transfer center Paul Atkinson, and Brey has invested everything into that class.

It will be the first time since John Dee's final season in 1970-71 the Irish will have such a senior dominated lineup — and that happened to be Dee's final year too with an all-senior starting lineup of Austin Carr, Collis Jones, Sid Catlett, Jackie Meehan and John Pleick.

Depending how that season in 2021-22 goes — and also what they achieve in the 2022 recruiting cycle — I think mutual decisions on his future will be based off that.

I can't deny the current program is at its lowest ebb in terms of momentum and enthusiasm in his 21 seasons here. It feels eerily similar to Digger's final two years as well.

A main difference is whereas Digger had rubbed many the wrong way and was wanted out by athletics director Dick Rosenthal — and told before his 20thseason in 1990-91 that it would be his last no matter what — Brey's amiable persona has created more goodwill. At the same time, there has to be very serious, candid conversations with Mike and Jack after this season about how much fire in the belly remains. Those are conversations behind closed doors no one is privy to.

Complete thread: