the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Open in thread

They're basically saying it was a "bump" visit

by Brendan @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 12:41 @ JN
edited by Brendan, Thursday, January 21, 2021, 12:44

IIRC they used to allow incidental contact with recruits - commonly known as a bump visit, as in you were visiting the HS coach and just bumped into the kid - as a reasonable by-product of visiting a school. But certain people (i.e. Urban Meyer) took advantage of this to the extreme and they cracked down on it. The "impermissible text messages with another prospect on 10 occasions" is significant in that the point of the dead periods is to shelter kids from being bombarded.

It's not the worst thing ever, but it's something. Practically speaking I don't think it means much; if the rumors are correct and the coach/prospect in question for the bump visit are Todd Lyght and Savell Smalls (from the 2020 cycle), it's not exactly a school we visit often.

Kelly's selfie, allegedly with Lorenzo Styles, is a lower-level violation and I don't believe any of the penalties are related to that. That just gets a finger wag. Which is good, because Lorenzo's little brother is in the '23 class and he's going to be a monster.

---
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Complete thread:

452472 Postings in 38262 Threads, 208 registered users, 42 users online (2 registered, 40 guests)
Contact