the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Open in thread

Probably

by Brendan @, The Chemical and Oil Refinery State, Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 13:08 @ MattG

I was pretty conservative myself back then; I grew up with my father listening religiously to Rush and Bob Grant in the car. I was ahead of the game because, as everyone knows, anyone who isn't a conservative by 30 has no brain, and I was *way* younger than 30. Ha! Idiots!

I mean it's not that shocking that a Midwest Catholic university - and one that for better or worse has clung unabashedly to its Catholicism unlike, say, Georgetown (my father just posthumously shuddered) - has served as a safe haven for conservative and even ultra-conservative thought. The "traditional" Church is sort of a natural fit for ultra-conservative thought, after all. The original Church is something of a better fit for liberal/progressive social theory, of course, but that's an uphill climb against traditionalism.

---
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." - Yeats

Complete thread:

452472 Postings in 38262 Threads, 208 registered users, 42 users online (2 registered, 40 guests)
Contact