the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Open in thread

BK made mention of mental fatigue in his presser yesterday

by Jay ?, San Diego, Monday, December 04, 2017, 07:51 @ Mike (bart)

Q. You mentioned the injuries in 2014, and maybe getting a little worn down here this past November?

BRIAN KELLY: Let me, if I could, clarify that. I don't think we were worn down physically. I think we were worn down emotionally and mentally.

Q. That's what was leading into my next question. Whether you've had or will have a conversation with Matt Balis as it pertains to that, or do you not think that's what it is --

BRIAN KELLY: No, I think we were really good. We'll continue to make strides physically. There were no questions about where we were physically as a football team. We were emotionally and mentally -- we had a long year.

I remember addressing the team before the Monday of the Stanford week with so much on the line and a 10th win and a New Year's six, and it looked like they were in biology class. They were staring at me like, Really? There was no juice, there was no excitement. And they were tired. They were tired mentally.

It's a long year, and I've got to do a better job of pacing that out for them.

Q. That's what I was going to ask you also. What can you do to alleviate some of that mental burden on them?

BRIAN KELLY: Yeah, obviously those are the things that you get a chance when you're on a flight and you're on the plane, you start thinking about what things you can do better as a head coach.

I think there are some things that I can help them with in terms of our leaders and our captains to take that on themselves. Because it can't come from us. They've got to be able to do it. How we can keep them energized emotionally and mentally during the long stretch of games that we had, those six games.

Q. Does it require lightening the load a little bit?

BRIAN KELLY: I think all of those are definitely things that have been on my mind. Again, playing four quarters against Navy before you go out to the West Coast, those are all taxing mentally as well because it's not -- I thought physically we did fine, it's just that requires an attention to detail for four quarters and you're going to come back the next week, fly across the country, that's a lot.

Sometimes you just say, well, maybe if you scheduled better on the back end, you'd be a little bit fresher. So I can't control that. The games are already scheduled. But I have to look at ways in our program where we can keep our guys fresher.

Complete thread:

374449 Postings in 32693 Threads, 204 registered users, 121 users online (5 registered, 116 guests)
Contact