the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Open in thread

Good post.

by Buffalo @, The Dirty South, Monday, December 04, 2017, 07:45 @ Mike (bart)

How much will this bowl game influence your view of the program positively or negatively?

Normally, I'd say "not much." But I do believe that a loss in this game, especially if ND looks flat or Wimbush doesn't look like something resembling a competent college quarterback, puts Kelly squarely back near the top of the "hot seat" lists for 2018. That'd be another 4-loss season, with three losses in the last four games and an uncertain situation at QB.

Kelly really needs a win to stanch the bleeding. I know many wouldn't be overly excited about a win against Ed Orgeron in bowl game without a chance to finish in the top ten (probably), but it would help recruiting, give the team (and just as importantly, Wimbush) confidence that he's the undisputed answer at QB going into Spring, and get the team to 10 wins, which would include wins over some pretty good ranked opponents (SC, LSU, in particular).

I also wonder if there is an outcome that could alter Kelly's career path. If Notre Dame routs LSU, is there a chance that another team could come calling for KElly? If LSU smokes ND, could it change minds at ND, especially if another candidate seems better and available? Probably not, but if I were Jack Swarbrick, I'd at least consider either possibility.

Complete thread:

374432 Postings in 32691 Threads, 204 registered users, 75 users online (1 registered, 74 guests)
Contact