I think, as a leader, Swarbrick is forced to decide whether

by Mike (bart), Saturday, December 10, 2016, 08:33 (2685 days ago) @ Jay

To spend time, energy and effort understanding, validating and rezponding to thise criticisms, or else deciding they literally aren't worth the effort.

Even at a basic level the idea that "the medium is the message" for the antoginized set is fairly easy to intuit. On its face, to a skeptic this isn't Barack Obama being interviewed by Rachel Maddow, its Barack Obama being interviewed by Josh Earnest. I think that's the fundamental source of grousing and stink eye, and uncharitable readings flow from there.

To me, it isnt hard to see that Swarbrick does not take the NDN crowd seriously, at all. That is his choice as a leader, obviously, but then of course there are consequences. When a group values their own contributions (in terms of money, energy, attention) and perceives those contributions not to be valued, it should not be surprising that alienation and hostility result. I can see a totally logical scenario in which Swarbrick decides he can live with that, but expecting the NDN crowd to be ok with that decision is probably a bridge too far.

Complete thread: