I find it surprising.

by Savage, Around Ye Olde Colonial College, Friday, December 09, 2016, 22:18 (2687 days ago) @ Publicola
edited by Savage, Friday, December 09, 2016, 22:24

Nobody would ever accept a white guy's dismissal of a claim of discrimination against black candidates as a simple "oh come on, don't mind the disproportionate numbers, we don't do that! Anyone who thinks we do is just looking to be a SJW victim.". But that seems to be the overwhelming tenor of the responses to discussion about the disturbing lack of political heterodoxy in academia and the "public intellectual" sphere, and it, by and large, goes unchallenged.

But I'd like to bow out now. I made my snark under the guise of the board rule to at least be funny (and I think it was actually a pretty good switcheroo, if perhaps predictable in its claim). And I accept your rebuttal that even though there are only like 3 notable conservative academic public intellectuals, there probably aren't tenure committees actively perusing donor rolls of R politicians as an exclusionary characteristic.

I do try not to argue politics in general, and especially not when I know that I'm against a side that is entrenched, as that'll just star bomb-throwing back and forth without any actual learning or consideration (introspective or extraspective). Besides, with the cross-board mudslinging and fanbase partitioning on the outrage du jour, I have better topics to waste my time with :)

Complete thread: