The magic thing is kind of self-perpetuating at this point,

by LT, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 12:24 (2723 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I think. I also don't think it's particularly unique to ND, although ND is probably a very extreme case and one that we as alumni/fans see in all of its ugliness and glory more often than others. Universities (and most groups) are very invested in getting you invested in them for life. Every school has the nostalgic alumni outreach, every sports team believes its fans are the best in sports, every political group convinces its members of the urgency of the cause du jour, whatever.

I think ND's is heightened by the "subway alumni" phenomenon, some savvy marketing, unusually high/strong legacy ties, and big-time sports. But most colleges will sell you on the Middlebury experience, or the Penn State experience, or the Yale experience or whatever. They're all very invested in their alumni being invested. And they all rely on a strong sense of nostalgia. And an on-campus, somewhat isolated college will have a very specific and memorable experience for undergrads. As for ND's "magic," like Jay, I think the Catholic social justice and prominence of "what are you fighting for?" ads is something particularly worthwhile. And I think historically it's been important to a lot of US Catholics and I don't think it's a bad thing to not take that for granted.

Since you knew me in person in college, this may surprise you, but I feel like ND is really not a big part of my life at this point. I mean, I donate and I read this message board and I watch most of the games and will occasionally travel back for one, but I don't buy a lot of swag and am completely disinterested in reunion and don't anticipate having particularly strong feelings about my kids going there someday. It was a great part of my life, and a cool connection to my dad/sister/grandfather, and drinking bloody mary's and eating brats on a perfect fall day with great friends I don't see often is objectively a terrific activity, but, you know, it's a moment in time that I don't need to try to control for other people in the present day. Institutions evolve. Times change. I'm just so glad we didn't have smartphones.

Complete thread: