That's a really complicated question

by Greg, seemingly ranch, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 09:46 (2775 days ago) @ Mike (bart)

I will always love my four years at Notre Dame. It was a special time of life, in a special place, with fantastic people.

So I'll always love the memories. There will always be a magic in the sound of the words "Notre Dame" or in hearing the band play those "other" songs that evoke memories that really can only be had by alums. And I'll always be grateful to Notre Dame for what it did for me and for the people I met and the experiences I had. I'll always like it and I'll always have a special place in my heart for it. But that love and those memories are of what once was. That's sappy, I know.

I also understand that Notre Dame continues to evolve. And I likely would not have the experiences today that I had twenty-plus years ago (and very well might not wind up loving the place were I to be a student today). So I'm faced with a choice -- rail against the changes and desire that everything stay the way it used to be, or accept that institutions change and that while I may not like everything about the change I really can't control it. I used to rail; I feared that acceptance would mean that I didn't love Notre Dame or that it didn't love me. But time and mature thought changed me. And they have allowed me to continue to love Notre Dame for what it was and for what it is, even though those things are different.

--
The 2007 ND-UCLA game was a once in a lifetime experience, I hope

Complete thread: