the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Open in thread

Blitzin' BVG

by Pat, Right behind you, Thursday, November 20, 2014, 23:20

I was curious about the decline of the defense. More specifically, just how much blitzing is the defense doing and has it changed at all? So I went ahead and charted it. Consider this the return of Chart Friday.

First up, the percentage of plays when ND blitzed on defense as a function of the total number of plays in that particular game. There were a few surprises, like the UNC game and the unevenness of the blitz percentages game to game. As for the percentages, I'm not sure if the numbers are above or below what folks thought they might be. I don't think the descriptor "Tenuta-esque" is fair though based on these numbers.

[image]

My next thought was that not all blitzes are created equal. Some leave BVG fist-pumping his way in to our hearts. Some leave a slow guy from Northwestern running free into the endzone. So I categorized each blitz result as "good", "bad", or "ugly". Basically, good meant the play yielded 3 or fewer yards or things like sacks and turnovers. Bad meant the play went 4-9 yards. Ugly meant 10+ yards. Maybe that's a bit aggressive on the "ugly" label. Anyway, here's the chart.

[image]

As you can see, the good did far better in recent games than I would have guessed. A lot of the big plays for Northwestern, for example, came when ND wasn't blitzing. Also, the Stanford numbers are kind of crazy.

I have a few other random thoughts based on skimming through the games to get the numbers. I'll try to add them some point tomorrow.

Also, sorry the colors are so drab. But it's late and I'm tired so it is what it is.

Tags:
charts, stats

Complete thread:

374418 Postings in 32689 Threads, 204 registered users, 96 users online (5 registered, 91 guests)
Contact