Give me an example of overcoming adversity

by Mike (bart), Thursday, October 16, 2014, 08:33 (3474 days ago)

When I was in the 7th grade I hit a big growth spurt. Having been defended as "husky" and "fine" by various family matrons over the prior 30 months I entered my Machinist phase with something between belief and excitement.

In November I screwed up the courage to ask Lisa Szwaya on a date. Perceiving the protagonist's success in Happy gilmore, I proposed an ice skating engagement at Ridgeland Commons.

My preparations for the date were sluggish but frantic, like pubescence. A problem: my only pair of clean jeans were an old pair; a pair from the time before. "MOM!" I screeched, a tone that deserved one of my fathers' belts. I wouldn't be receiving as much, though. In the rush of a fall Saturday, nary a belt could be found. Had Father gone to the tanner? Was this a trial of design? Was he spitefully wearing the STAR TREK belt thoughtlessly offered (by me) for his 46th birthday?

Cresting the slope of sanity, I persevered and devised a solution.

As it would so often in my youth, impetuousness was at once my finest strength and most foulsome vulnerability. The whimsy of my design had won an angel's hand for the afternoon, but the thoughtlessness of my construction (a man never to the ice before or since!) would prove my undoing. Flopping spectacularly onto my spine, the day's oversized shirt flew up; a fully exposed waistband throughout my sprawl.

Lisa Szwaya glided to my feet, appalled by my clumsiness, but not my dexterity.

"Do you have an extension cord tied around your waist?

I was married 11 weeks ago.

This is a prediction thread.

ND 35
FSU 34

Tags:
potpourri

Complete thread: