the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Open in thread

Serving up some offensive balance pie (charts)

by NDTex ?, Dallas, TX, Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 08:02

From this morning at HLS: http://www.herloyalsons.com/blog/2013/11/20/notre-dame-offense-checking-balance-brian-k...

The initial genesis of this was to address what I felt was an unfair criticism of Rees in regards to audibles and their effect on balance. This led me down a rabbit whole of looking at the offense as a whole.

Below are the pie charts that resulted from the overview of the entire Brian Kelly era to this point. I didn't just do a run/pass balance, but tried to look at how much Kelly asks his QBs do to. Therefore, I created a third category of "QB Rushing Attempts" that included all QB called runs, sacks, and scrambles.

Here are the results starting with this season and tracing back to 2010. For these results all plays from all QBs were used to give an overall picture:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Conclusions:

* Kelly's offense is very QB-centric, not so much pass-happy. The offense builds around the QB's skillset and what he can do

* Over his time here, he has started to lean on his running backs to carry more of the load.

* This season's balance can either be attributed to Martin taking the reigns or Kelly realizing Tommy's limitations.

* I think results like what we saw in 2012 and 2010 is what Kelly would really like to do. Have a dual-threat QB that will handle the ball around 60-65% of the time.

---
Her Loyal Sons | Twitter

Tags:
charts

Complete thread:

374353 Postings in 32682 Threads, 204 registered users, 120 users online (3 registered, 117 guests)
Contact