the Polo Grounds

Back to the forum index
Open in thread

Help me understand

by JN, Seattle, Sunday, November 11, 2012, 05:06
edited by JN, Sunday, November 11, 2012, 05:12

"Collin Klein, K-State bolster national title hopes by tackling TCU"

Heisman Trophy hopeful quarterback Collin Klein ran for two touchdowns and Kansas State (No. 2 BCS, No. 3 AP) bolstered its chances in the national championship chase with a 23-10 victory over the Horned Frogs on Saturday night.

"There is a very fine line, and that is a team that can play for a national championship," Patterson said after facing the Wildcats for the first time. "Everyone has been giving them their best shot. I am not sure that was our best shot, but we tried to play at a high level."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=323152628

KSU beat another middling Big 12 team, this time by 13, and they've all but punched their ticket to the title game. They've beaten 3 cupcakes and 3 Big 12 teams that hover around the bottom of the top 25 by artificially inflating their rankings without beating any goods teams (just each other and the wildly overrated WVU).

You beat Oklahoma on the road by 5? Nice work. ND beat them on the road by 17 a few weeks later when OU had their 2 suspended players back.

You beat Miami at home by 39? ND beat them at a neutral site (admittedly more favorable to ND than Miami) by 38.

So we play close games. That's fair. ND isn't often going to score 50 points (except against bowl-bound Navy). Then again, ND isn't going to give up 21 to the likes of North Texas, either. In fact, we went 3 straight games against MSU, UM, and Miami without giving up a single TD, let alone 3 to any one of them.

Take away ND's win on the road against top-10 MSU. Fine (I don't agree, but I see the argument). We'll dock KSU's top-13 road win against WVU too. Then again, we should probably take a gander at that top-14 win against T Tech, who at 7-3 had 4 early victories against Northwestern State, Texas St, New Mexico (Boob!), and Iowa State. Tech's also closing strong with a 3OT win against TCU and an OT win against Kansas (?) sandwiched around losses to KSU and Texas.

On the other hand, to win out, ND will still have wins against top-15 Stanford and top-20 Southern Cal to go with that OU victory. KSU's second best win after OU is...Texas (whose beaten literally no one - look at their schedule)? Texas Tech?

The worst team on ND's schedule is probably BC at 2-8. BC is on par (and probably better than) Kansas. The worst team on our schedule is better than KSU's 3rd worst. Is beating Purdue or Pitt in a close game really worse than beating North Texas by just 2 TDs?

Like I said, someone's going to have to explain the KSU love to me. They have the weakest resume of the 3 unbeaten teams. Why does squeaking by TCU punch their ticket?

Complete thread:

239593 Postings in 22624 Threads, 189 registered users, 17 users online (0 registered, 17 guests)
Contact